Re: About the (accursed) Penguin Logo.

On Mon, Jul 13, 1998 at 04:41:31PM -0500, Ean Schuessler wrote:
> Ok, I hate to rant again (well, I don't hate it that much) but here we go:
>
> We _should_ _not_ use the peguin logo. Please, please, please stop this
> madness now before we actually start spending real money on ads and stuff.

I suport Ean completely. Debian should find an IDENTITY of its OWN. Please,
everyone who thinks a penguin is a great idea, think about.
Debian is more!

I´ll try to adress a few technical issues of logo design and why the penguin
fails horrible.

* A logo should be unique within a field of business. The penguin logo
  is not unique at all.
* It should be easy to remember and recognize. Maybe the penguin does it,
  but it is certainly not very interesting (the colors are boring, for
  example, and it is not compressed enough --- too much empty space).
  Well, some people can´t recognize a penguin in the logo.
* The logo should imply things about Debian. Currently the penguin implies
  we are using Linux. Great. Debian is much more than only the Linux
  Kernel. Whereas the kernel is a piece of software, Debian is a community
  that works on the greatest distribution of a complete operating system,
  and it is entirely free.

As a last point, I want to make an appell to your *taste*.

I have some idea for a logo (who has not), and I think it adresses these
things. I´m not an artist, however, and if somebody wants to implement them,
write me.

The logo should represent:

* FREEDOM
* COMMUNITY
* PROFESSIONALITY

A logo should be:

* easy to reproduce in many variants, like b/w, flashy, high and low
  resolution.
* easy to look at.
* balanced in color and proportions.

The text should be "Debian" with an optional "Gnu/Linux" in smaller
letters. This is important as a "GNU/Hurd" seems to be under way. (And, no,
I don´t think different kernels should have a different logo).

Marcus