Re: Proposal to deprecate and remove mailing list specific code of conduct

Hi Andrew,

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 08:12:35PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We currently have a minimal Debian mailing list code of conduct at
> https://www.debian.org/MailingLists which is, essentially,
> primarily tips on how to format email. At the same time, we have the
> main Debian Code of Conduct at https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct} which
> is also referenced on the mailing lists page.
[...]
> Your thoughts on this would be very much appreciated

When I made the proposal for the Debian CoC, I asked for the list
manager's feedback. This was their reponse:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2014/02/msg00045.html

After I prodded a bit about the mailinglist specific parts that
Alexander referred to in that mail, he replied with:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2014/02/msg00054.html

In other words, unless their position has changed in the intervening
years, listmasters don't really want to lose their document, because
they believe it still has value.

As I'm not involved in listmastery, I can't really say whether or not I
agree with that position, but I do think that if you want to drop the
mailinglist CoC you need to convince listmasters first that it's
actually a good idea to do so.

I'll finish with saying that it was always my intent that the Debian CoC
replace the Mailinglist CoC; but when it became clear that listmasters
really didn't want to see that document go, I couldn't think of any
better way to move forward than to make the mailinglist CoC be linked to
from the Debian CoC (as suggested through amendment by Neil McGovern),
and so in effect make it explicit that one does not override the other.

--
To the thief who stole my anti-depressants: I hope you're happy

  -- seen somewhere on the Internet on a photo of a billboard