Re: KickStarter for Debian packages - crowdfunding/donations for development

On 06/15/2013 02:18 AM, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 12:25:26AM -0400, Joey Hess a écrit :
>> Charles Plessy wrote:
>>> In the case of Debian, I share with others the concern of having
>>> the packages as a source of revenue
>>
>> How about making fixed bugs a source of revenue?
>
> I do not see how to fit this in the PaySwarm model proposed here,
> unless there are URLs for billing?

There is a PaySwarm spec called "Payment Intents", which is basically a
way to express "If X happens, I want to pay $Y". This can be used to do
all sorts of limit-based financial transactions:

"If bug 23489 is fixed, I'll pay $5."
"If $500 is raised to address bug 32892, I'll put in $10."

> In that case, the bounties could accumulate until somebody takes them
> by fixing the bug.

Have you heard of? https://www.bountysource.com/

Similar model.

> We would probably need some review system unless there are easy way
> for refunds.

The way PaySwarm Payment Intents work is by collecting "promises to
pay". When a limit is hit, all the payments go through. The model is
similar to KickStarter's all-or-nothing model. However, that model is a
bit constrained by the credit card and banking system (holds are put on
the funds in certain instances), which PaySwarm is not constrained by.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
http://blog.meritora.com/launch/