Re: KickStarter for Debian packages - crowdfunding/donations for development

Le Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 04:42:54PM -0400, Manu Sporny a écrit :

> What if we did the following:
>
> 1. If information exists in the package to distribute the donation
>    automatically (these 35 people should get exactly these
>    percentages), then we do that.
> 2. If the package lists the upstream project donation account, then we
>    do that.
> 3. If there is no such information, then we send the money to the
>    Debian project.

Dear Manu,

thanks for your work on web payments.  I hope that they will be a lead
contribution to the development of Free works.

In the case of Debian, I share with others the concern of having the packages
as a source of revenue, that would strongly reduce incentive for collaborative
maintainance of packages.  I think that for Debian, we need methods that pay
for the work to be done, rather than for the work that has been done.  Debian
has a large number of contributors, and we should encourage mobility between
projects, rather than make ourselves dependant to the project that would be
currently paying for our bills.

Most of the works we distribute are of a much smaller scale, where the approach
that you propose would not have such a negative side effect.  Moreover, some of
our upstreams who are already collecting donations may be worried of losing
opportunities to reveive when their work is distributed through Debian packages.
Here, PaySwarm can solve our problem.

As Paul showed you, we are collecting URLs for donations, and we probably miss
a lot of them.  If the PaySwarm project would provide with mechanisms to easily
communicate or discover this information, that would be very useful.  Then,
together with the information that the donation they received comes from a
Debian user, we could pass the URL to our upstream guide
(http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide), so that the packaging work (and
therefore the need for support) is reduced thanks to Upstream standardising his
work.

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy