Re: KickStarter for Debian packages - crowdfunding/donations for development

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 11:48:27AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On 14-06-13 23:24, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> > Right, but this leads to one of two things:
> >
> >   - No money is shared with dependencies (leading to people flocking to
> >     awesomewm, gnome, kde, chrome, wine, apache2, etc)
> >
> >   - Money is shared with dependencies (leading to people flocking to
> >     gcc, linux, libc6)
>
> Which is a problem, why?

Because, given a naive implementation, people could latch on and feed
off all the money trickling in without doing work. Unless you want to
"rate" people in Debian, which I think is a very bad idea.

Oh you? You're worth 1%. You? Oh, you get nothing. Kbai.

> - The maintainer(s) decide to put all the money in a fund that is used
>   for things like meetings among the package's maintainers. In other
>   words, there is no direct financial benefit to be had, and thus I
>   don't expect people to be interested in joining purely for financial
>   benefit.

This would be a nice result of this system. Very very nice. I would love
if donations for a package went to a single discretionary fund to help
them with development. Things like:

  - going to upstream development sprints
  - meeting in a central location for a sprint
  - [other brilliant ideas here]

> - The maintainer(s) set up some complex scheme by which financial
>   benefit is equally distributed among contributors based on size of

I think this is a can of worms we should very much avoid.

[..]

> Unless you think money is dirty, I don't see how any of this would
> involve "flocking" in a problematic manner.

I don't think it's dirty, but it distorts views. When the person next to
you doing less work than you is making $MONEY, and you're not, you don't
want to work on $THING anymore.

> Am I missing something?

No, just not looking in the same places as me.

> If/when this were to happen in Debian, I think it would be fair to kick
> said developer out of the project, on the basis of them violating the
> "do not stand in the way" rule of constitution §2.1.1.

He claimed he'd not stand in the way of anyone writing their own patch,
and I don't think you could claim not writing the patch is standing in
the way, so I think this doesn't apply.

It's shady, but I don't think we have a mechinism for enforcing people
don't do this. Having a big-professional system where you say "Oh, just
apt-donate me $10 usd and I'll release this patch", people would believe
this is how things work.

Cheers,
   Paul

--