Re: KickStarter for Debian packages - crowdfunding/donations for development

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 11:03:36PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
[..]
> work. That's all fine. We have a mechanism in place to help people
> donate money to Debian as a whole. That's also fine. But I'd very much
> rather keep both things separate — Not instate mechanisms in Debian to
> get funds to individual developer. We have never needed it, and from
> the discussions I have taken part in or witnessed, I really doubt we
> would need it now.

In particular, I have concerns on how people *collect* this money. In
the case of a package maintainer, we don't require we know who they are,
nor their legal name, or even where the live. Just an active, working
email and good changes that we can upload (hell, they could even just
get sponsorship via debdiffs without a GPG key for all we know). In that
case, verifiying identity wouldn't be something we could do, nor do I
think such people would give their bank numbers up.

I think allowing users to 'tip' would be nice, but it creates this
system where now everyone wants to co-maint gcc, bash, libc, linux and
not really "do" anything.

Payment systems in general tend to lead to "paybullying", which is
something I'd really (really) like to avoid. I've always loved how
un-corporate the Debian community is.

I'm very lukewarm about this right now, but I think with some sound
arguments, I'd warm up to it.

P.S., I do like your work on JSON-LD, Manu!

Cheers,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>