Re: revenue sharing agreement with DuckDuckGo

On 03/28/2012 10:25 AM, Philip Hands wrote:
>>> The privacy implications of this need to be considered. At least for
>>> Chromium there is no indication in the user agent that the user is
>>> using Debian.
>> Thanks for pointing this out. Let's consider them then.
> Should this not be a debconf question, along the lines of popcon, but as
> a machine wide:
>
>    Do you mind trading a little privacy to allow us to declare your use
>    of Debian to search engines, and thus possibly benefit from revenue
>    sharing arising from your searches?
>
> No idea if that should default to yes or no.  It also might be better to
> make that less search specific.
>
> We could also have a debconf question for setting the default search
> engine across all browsers, which defaults to unset, and is low
> priority, so that people can preseed it, but the browser packagers get
> to make their own decisions if the value has not been set.
I think we give up too much of our principles with that. DDG loudly
states not to track us on their pages and the first thing we talk about
is to tell them more about ourselves. I find that ironic.

How much money are we talking about? Less than $5000? More? Difficult to
say, between 1000 and 10000? Is Krenn donating any amount with every day
a Debian instance is running on their servers? If we think that DDG's
principles are very much like ours, but if we also agree that they can
well use the money they get themselves to further improve their
technology, then maybe we should just ask for the money they can afford
and want to give? Let them make an estimate about how much Debian's
contribution possibly was and happily accept that.

In my opinion we should find ways to help Open Source-supporting
companies like DDG but do not make any compromise with our principles.
Andy maybe they can help us best by employing someone of or close to us?
They can invite upstreams and Debian developers for sprints at their
site about distributed computing, organise bug squashing parties ...
there is so much they can do which helps their standing in the Open
Source community and helps us.

Steffen