Re: DEP11 is CANDIDATE now!

Le Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:34:50AM +0100, Matthias Klumpp a écrit :

> I just wanted to announce that DEP11[1] has the status of a candidate
> now, since all necessary bits are discussed and we're now working on a
> first impementation.

Dear Matthias,

it is nice to see this project advance.  While I think that I have a rough
understanding of the goals in general, I am still missing key points about the
scope of DEP 11 and the proposed implementation.

Is it accurate to summarise DEP 11 by saying that it a specification of an
AppStream metadata file in Debian's control data format, and the specification
of this file's locations in the Debian archive ?

I still wonder about the flow of information.  Is the plan to have dak scan the
packages for FreeDesktop menu entry files and generate the ComponentMetadata
index files ?

Together with Andreas Tille, we are finalising the first proof of principle of
using debian/upstream files in YAML format to store additional metadata.  Our
current approach is only tracking the latest version of a package (in Sid), and
only tracking source packages that are managed in a VCS, so it may not be
compatible with your project.  But perhaps you can have a look (note that the
spec is not stable yet).

  http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata

In addition to the debian/upstream files, we are also collecting Debian
copyright files.  The gatherer is still in construction, so the collection is
still quite limited.  But in theory, it could be extended to collect
FreeDesktop menu files if you are interested.

  http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/collab-qa/packages-metadata/a/

Have a nice Sunday,

--
Charles Plessy