Re: [DEP5] License field in the first paragraph ?

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> In the above example, doc/* are not copyright by Mr. Foo. But if if
> Mr. Foo has done work that allows him to assert a compilation
> copyright, that could apply to the whole package, including doc/*. So,
> Mr. Foo could be listed in the Copyright in the header.

Okay. I am not clear on how acts of compilation invoke copyright law,
but that does seem to be a “package as a whole” case that would not be
covered by copyright on the source files. Thanks.

> In this case, there is not a license directly associated with the
> compilation copyright.

That doesn't make much sense. If someone can assert copyright on the
compilation, surely we need explicit copyright license from that holder
on the compilation?

> All the individual files are licensed under A or B, by their
> individual authors. So having License in the header doesn't make
> sense.

If it's relevant to record the copyright on a compilation, I don't see
how we escape the need to also show what license we have to that
compilation.

--
 \       “The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. |
  `\           The pessimist fears it is true.” —J. Robert Oppenheimer |