[DEP5] License field in the first paragraph ?

Dear all,

polishing is geting hectic, but I think that we are going in the good direction…

Le Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 02:35:17AM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard a écrit :

> Format: http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/dep/web/deps/dep5.mdwn?rev=162
> Upstream-Name: Bitcoin
> Upstream-Contact: Satoshi Nakamoto <satoshin@gmx.com>
> Source: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/
> Copyright: 2009-2010, Bitcoin Developers
> License: Expat
>
> Files-Excluded: bin/*
> Comment: source-less binaries
>
> Files-Excluded: src/cryptopp/*
> Comment: unneeded external project sources
>
> Files: src/json/*
> Copyright: 2007-2009, John W. Wilkinson
> License: Expat

About having a License field in the header: on one hand I have not seen
opposition to this, but on the other hand, it is not allowed by the current
candidate draft, which lists License only in the fields of the Files paragraph.

I am worried that there was a misundertanding about the purpose of the first
paragraph's Copyright field: from my reading of the current version of the DEP
(and independantly of how my opinion on how it should be), it does not replace
a Copyright field associated to a catch-all Files field, that is: in the
example given by Jonas, a paragraph containing a ‘Files: *’ field is necessary.

I think that at least we have to resolve the misunderstanding, if any.

Cheers,

--
Charles