Re: Summary of the debian-devel BoF at Debconf9

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 5:41 AM, Michael Banck<mbanck@debian.org> wrote:

> at Debconf9, there was a BoF about the debian-devel list and how we
> could possibly make it more attractive.
>  * Maybe split off WNPP Traffic to a new -wnpp list?
> The other discussed item was about ITPs.  It turned out that roughly 20%
> of the debian-devel list traffic are ITPs and discussions thereof.
> While it is clear that ITPs should get reviewed, maybe not all of them
> have to be copied to -devel.  It was suggested that for mass-filings
> (sometimes people file the ITP for a dozen perl libraries needed as
> Build-Depends/Depends for a package in one go), something less-intrusive
> could be used, maybe perhaps a summary posting.  Another option is that
> specific teams like the perl or the games teams review ITPs in their
> field, while only generic ITPs get copied to -devel.

Lets start with some low hanging fruit: ITP floods

It appears that many folks may not read the developers-reference
because it already says the following:

If you are packaging so many new packages (>10) that notifying the
mailing list in seperate messages is too disruptive, do send a summary
after filing the bugs to the debian-devel list instead.

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/pkgs.html#newpackage

I personally didn't know about this sentence, I'd suggest significant
changes to the developers reference be announced in DeveloperNews or
similar in future to make recommended practice better known.

I would suggest the following sentences instead:

If you are packaging multiple related packages, notifying the mailing
list in seperate messages is too disruptive, file the ITP bugs and
then send a summary to the debian-devel list instead. Likewise, if you
are packaging many new packages (>10), send a summary of the ITP bugs
instead.

Perhaps the number should be changed to 5 instead of 10.

Also, how about the following addition to the next edition of DeveloperNews?

=== debian-devel and ITPs ===

At DebConf9 there was a discussion about making the debian-devel list
more useful. Towards that end, here is a quick reminder of the
recommendations in the developers reference 5.1[devref51]. Please do
not sent ITPs for multiple packages to debian-devel, instead, please
file the ITPs and send a summary to debian-devel afterwards. This is
especially true for multiple packages that are related in some way.

[devref51] http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/pkgs.html#newpackage

-- Paul Wise

--
bye,