Re: On cadence and collaboration

Marc Haber wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 09:32:36PM +0200, Jesús M. Navarro wrote:

In other words: freeze on december the first doesn't mean that if, say, Gnome
will publish it's new shiny 1.2 version by december the 15, the last beta
should have to be included, but that the december version will ship version
1.1 (or whatever is the previous known to work stable).  It's up to the
upstreamer to decide if next time they will publish by november the 15th
instead of december the 15th so their latest greatest gets to be shipped.

So we basically force a time-based release schedule upon our upstreams
when we do time-based freezes? I am not sure whether upstreams are
going to like this.

No, we give them the opportunity to recommend a version. It might be an older version, or a version they happen to be about to release, it's not *necessarily* time-based for them. We're going to pick a version of their stuff anyway, this just makes it easier to participate in one conversation with many distros about which would work best.

I do think more upstreams will adopt time-based releases. Kernel, GNOME, KDE and others are already doing quite well there. X would like to, but is short of manpower on the RM front.

Mark