Re: On cadence and collaboration

On Wed, Aug 05 2009, Julien BLACHE wrote:

> Mark Shuttleworth <mark@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> [Cc:ed as I don't know whether you're subscribed to -project]
>
> Hi,
>
>> freeze summit, and there are significant benefits to Debian to being
>> part of that rather than on a different schedule.
>
>>From the very start of the Debian Project, Debian has been different
> from everything else: different package management tools, different
> philosophy, different organization, you name it.

        But most of these will not be lost if we have a time based
 freeze. Or are you talking about everyone shipping the same package
 version? I think diversity based on version numbers of software
 components is a false diversity; and makes people compare apples to
 oranges. So if everyone ships the same version of GNOME, it allows
 apples to apples comparison, and should make the strengths of Debian
 stand out (thought it would make life harder for journalists, since no
 longer are the platitudes about differing software versions going to be
 enough to carry a review)

        IOW, a sync'd release is not likely to reduce diversity,

        manoj
--
Electrocution, n.: Burning at the stake with all the modern
improvements.