Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

Teemu Likonen wrote:
> On 2009-07-30 13:12 (+0200), Sven Joachim wrote:
>
>> On 2009-07-30 11:36 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
>>> Oh, and Debian got hundreds of active developers, and I doubt they'll
>>> be running to Shuttleworth anytime soon.
>> Probably not, but the release synchronization with Ubuntu may make
>> them feel that they are working for him, which can be a great
>> demotivation.
>
> That's why it would be interesting to hear some concrete ideas how
> useful this would be for the parties. How pros and cons balance? I'll
> start:
>
> Ubuntu
> ======
>
>   + Ubuntu always gets a frozen and pretty stable system even if they
>     don't communicate at all with Debian. (This is just a mind exercise,
>     I'm sure there is some collaboration.)
>
>   + Better-quality LTS releases. Happier users and customers.
>
>   + More collaboration between Debian and Ubuntu package maintainers and
>     teams.

Are you sure? I doubt that more collaboration would happen. Debian would be
forced to have their stuff in a better shape at the day when Ubuntu freezes and
they'd just take it...

> Debian
> ======
>
>   + More collaboration between Debian and Ubuntu package maintainers and
>     teams.

See above.

>   - Debian developers may feel that it's Ubuntu which they are working
>     for in the end. Possibly with the feeling that some of the
>     decision-making escapes the Debian developer community. Can be
>     demotivating.
>
>   - OK, Ubuntu x.04 was released in April but because of their lower
>     quality standards and the 6-month release cycle they most likely
>     won't be helping Debian to fix the rest of the difficult RC bugs.
>     They are already working on their next 6-month period. Ubuntu gets a
>     lot of publicity because of the release but Debian always comes "too
>     late", literally always after Ubuntu. (It's worth the wait for many
>     people but the possible negative publicity can be demotivating for
>     Debian community.)
>
>     A couple of months later eventually the RC bugs are fixed in Debian
>     and there is a release. Ubuntu will apply some of the bug fixes to
>     their LTS x.y.1 releases (3-month point release cycle). This can
>     make some Debian developers feel that Ubuntu gets something for free
>     again without contributing back. Can be demotivating.
>
>   + Debian's quality probably won't decrease (except for Squeeze maybe).

That's not a plus. That is what one would expect. A plus would be to have a
better quality.

--
 Bernd Zeimetz                             Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 GPG Fingerprints: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79