Re: Approaching non-integratable software, was: What to do with (packages like) Blender?

Reinhard Tartler <siretart@debian.org> (03/08/2009):
> [ moving discussion to -project. Please follow up on -devel if you are
>   contributing to the technical discussion and -project for the
>   project wide parts ]

[ replying to -project only, -devel readers will receive my status
  update[1] already. ]

> Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> writes:
>
> > It's been a while and I'm now really wondering what to do with
> > Blender. So that everyone can understand, I'm going to try and sum up
> > what I'm facing.
>
> It seems to me that blender is not unique in this regard. There is more
> software than just blender that prefers to not be integrated into a
> distribution properly, but rather prefers to retain exact control of
> (external) libraries that are being included into their source and
> binaries. Another characteristic is that they focus on binary
> redistribution, and frown upon users that grab the source and compile
> themselves.

JFTR (and for people reading only this list after some time): At least
in the blender case, it looks like upstream understands our point of
view and seems to be willing to change things, if possible, see [1].

 1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/08/msg00108.html

Mraw,
KiBi.