Re: A Suggestion

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009, azzka wrote:
> called aria runnable as `aria2c` in Ubuntu. Aria is very fast (because
> do 5 connections to the server). So my suggestion is to add a switch in

The mirror network is there to serve well as many people as possible, with
the least ammount of resources.  That's the only way to scale based on
donated resources.

For these reasons, lightweight transport protocols and services (http) are
favoured over more resource-hungry protocols or services (ftp, rsync...),
opening multiple connections to get a file faster is not seen as a good
thing, and so on.

Therefore, the standard packaged mirror scripts or tools will not open
multiple connections to get a single file, nor open multiple connections to
get multiple files from the same archive suite (at least not by default, but
I don't know of any that allows it at all).

You are welcome to try the peer-to-peer package distribution network, where
in exchange for being able to get many segments of a file at once, you also
help uploading files to others.  Refer to the apt-p2p package.

  Henrique Holschuh