Re: Voting on messages: a way to resolve the mailing list problems

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:40:24PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Jurij Smakov <jurij@wooyd.org> wrote:
> > The 'mailvoting' alioth project [0] has been created. There are also
> > two mailing lists, 'mailvoting-discuss' and 'mailvoting-devel', for
> > general discussion and implementation discussion, respectively. Please
> > subscribe [1] to them, if you are interested in contributing.
> >
> > [0] http://mailvoting.alioth.debian.org/
> > [1] http://alioth.debian.org/mail/?group_id=100282
>
> So this means ignoring any concerns and pressing on regardless?

This is something which I'm undertaking of my own accord, out of
curiosity and belief that it can make a difference. This effort is not
officially endorsed by the project in any way, there is no intention
to push for such an endorsement in the nearest future either. As for
the concerns, I've seen approximately 5:1 ratio of
positive-to-negative feedback on the idea, so yes, I don't have a
problem ignoring these concerns.

> What's a rant about zionism got to do with this?  Is it spam?
> If so, why didn't the list admin block it?

This was spam, which got through, because the lists are created with
configuration which allows everyone to post to the lists. After I saw
it, I've changed the configuration to limit posting to subscribers
only (I know it's controversial, but I guess that's a lesser evil then
getting them flooded with spam).

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org