motivation (Re: It's all about trust)

Hi,

On Monday 27 October 2008 17:20, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > If someone is only trustable to package perl modules, shouldn't he be a
> > DM instead of a DD?
> We might want him to be able to package new perl modules on his own? Where
> do you draw the line? If you maintain 20 or 50 perl modules?

The above two quote reminded me of two different aspects, which I havent seen
spelled our this clear in this thread so far.

a.) giving out access/rights, can be very _motivating_: I can tell from my own
experience mostly or more clearly in Debian Edu than in Debian, that I do a
lot of stuff in Debian Edu, because I was granted the rights which I needed
to do these kinds even though I didnt need the rights. (Simply said: I got
svn commit for everything (even though I only needed svn commit for a
fraction), so I started to work on everything.

(This is definitly also true for Debian, but to a lesser extend. Debian is
more cautious with granting access.)

The other aspect is a bit contradictionary or might sound so. I'm still deeply
impressed by the Kathy Sierras keynote at LCA 2007 about passionate users.
It's available at
http://mirror.linux.org.au/pub/linux.conf.au/2007/video/friday/Friday_0900_Sierra.ogg
and I suggest you watch it if have ever thought/think about motivating
volunteers.
Her basic idea is, that in addictive games the first levels of success are
easy to achieve and then it gets harder, but only so slowly so that people
dont loose motivation. She also manages very well to carry this over to free
software development and I suggest you watch it (its 45min), as she can
really connect this much better than I can do here.)

Currently, in Debian it is (still) really hard to get involved and part of the
project (though to be fair, it's perceived even harder than it is). DM was a
good step in the right direction and we should keep that direction, not add
too many levels of access, priviledges and buerocrazy.

regards,
	Holger