Re: Social Committee proposal

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:08:14 +0100, Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net> said:

> On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 09:07:34PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> You see, the committee is going to define the norms. It is going to
>> lay down the acceptable cultural mores. In my experience,
>> committees never produce minimalist documents. The never know when
>> to stop. Design by committee is what gave us ADA.

> Er, do we see this pattern with the technical committee? The social
> committee would (by virtue of shared demographics) be composed of a
> similarly-minded people as the technical committee, so it stands to
> reason that they wouldn't act horribly different from one another.

        I am not sure that follows. Case in point: while I think I am
 a reasonably good fit for the role required for a tech ctte member
 (if I were not, I would have resigned a long time ago), wil horses
 would not drag me to a social committee. I don't think I fit the
 demographic.

        Another thing is, that we are all self selected to put
 together a yet-another-son-of-multics OS -- that is a pretty narrow,
 tightly couple technical field, so we are all pretty close in the
 technical domain.  In other dimensions, liek geography, religion,
 language, cultture, politics -- we are all over the field. We've got
 liberal members, conservative members, left wing, right wing --- and
 given that, I don't think it is easy to come to a consensus and not
 impose majority will.

>> Given that once codified, style, usability, and social polices
>> (well, almost any policy) tends to get more and more chiseled in
>> stone; creating a social policy is not in the Nay^H^Hprojects best
>> interest, perhaps.
>>
>> No, I am not sure I fully believe this, but it is a point that
>> should be considered as we dash headlong towards creating a social
>> committee and social policy to mirror the technical committee and
>> technical policy and constitutional amendments to chisel it into
>> the codex.

> Granted. Yet, I think that similar arguments must have been levelled
> in the early days against having a technical committee. Why did we
> need that, couldn't we all just get along? :)

> Self-regulation has worked for us for years, in both areas, after
> all.  Maybe making changes isn't in our best interest.

> Yet, we've been pretty conservative about social matters for years
> now, i.e. we didn't tend to innovate in the community all that
> much. Having a committee for these matters won't really change any
> long-entrenched practices that people already practice, but it will
> provide a reasonable forum for discussion. (Before anyone says "but
> this is also a reasonable forum for discussion", I will just remind
> that this is a 694-member mailing list, just think about that a
> bit...)

        Well, the technical committee is passive. It does not actively
 make policy.  And my role in the policy editing camp has been the
 nay-sayer -- the default answer to a request to change policy is nay,
 unless you can show reasons why the change helps debian, and is
 _required_ to a certain degree.

        Are we talking about the same cautious, conservative, slow to
 make radical changes for the social effort? I'll be far happier, if
 this is the case.

        manoj

--
If the master dies and the disciple grieves, the lives of both have
been wasted.