Re: Social Committee proposal

On to, 2007-01-25 at 16:27 -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         Why don't I think it is a good idea? Well, because, unlike
>  technical issues, social issues are very subjective.  Also, social
>  and cultural norms differ widely from culture to culture; which
>  culture  shall be represented  in, and whose norms shall be enforced
>  by this social/cultural committee?

That's easy: we should enforce (assuming that is not too strong a word)
the social and cultural norms that we, as a community, agree on. The
comparison to technical policy is not entirely invalid: we make up our
technical policy ourselves, too.

We can determine social policy by discussion and, if necessary, by
voting. I'd rather see consensus, and, more specifically, see the
soc-ctte spell out the social norms and if the developer body disagrees
with it, and can't convince the soc-ctte via discussion, they can force
a change via a GR.

--
The road is wide and the sky is tall, before I die I will see it
all.--H.A.