Re: http://www.counterpunch.org/

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 08:38:04PM -0400, Jolanta Piorko wrote:
> What the fuck is going on; is it your url? - http://www.counterpunch.org/ if
> not get the fuck out of there

I believe you're mistaken.

Debian[1] is an international organization of volunteers who have made
common cause to produce a freely-modifiable operating system and distribute
it at no charge to the public.  An operating system is the software which
fundamentally operates a general-purpose computer.  One component of an
operating system can be a web server.  If a web site is not configured with
content by the people running it, a boilerplate page, such as the one you
presumably saw, may be displayed instead.  It is likely that Counterpunch's
website experienced some technical difficulties.

It is *not* likely that Counterpunch's website was defaced by the Debian
Project or its members.  We have no need to take through deception or
intrusion what the many satisfied users of our operating system freely
offer -- promotion of our cause and product through its use.

But perhaps I need to speak in plainer language:

If you're going to cop this kind of ignorant and hostile attitude to a
worldwide, not-for-profit, cooperative venture, you'll probably find
yourself more at home among frothy people like yourself -- political
conservatives.  You might find them at Little Green Footballs[2], example.

I trust at such sites you'll enjoy the company of people addicted to
slander, hysterical invective, and the aggrandizement of plutocratic
corporate mercantilism much more than the comparitively sober, thoughful,
and egalitarian fare that Mr. Cockburn and his colleagues produce.

[1] http://www.debian.org/
[2] http://littlegreenfootballs.com/

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    It is the responsibility of
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    intellectuals to tell the truth and