Re: Debian Info

On 20010207T232130+0100, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:
> [please use plain text for mail - mail isn't the web]

The mail I got *was* plain text.

> On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 14:12:56 -0800, Eric Peng wrote:
> >I am doing some research on the Linux operating system and have a question
> >in regards to software running on Debian. If i have a piece of software
> >that runs on Red Hat, will it also run on Debian?
>
> In general, yes. Although there have been cases in the past where a binary
> compiled on a Red Hat system didn't work on a Debian system (the Red Hat
> tools hardwired a search path for finding the dynamic X libraries which
> didn't work on Debian).

Also, generally Red Hat and Debian are source-compatible, so if a program runs
in RedHat, it can almost always be compiled from source to work on a Debian
system, even if the program for some reason does not work from the same binary.

                     Keep the Deja Archive Alive!
        http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html