Re: Debian Info

[please use plain text for mail - mail isn't the web]

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 14:12:56 -0800, Eric Peng wrote:
>I am doing some research on the Linux operating system and have a question
>in regards to software running on Debian. If i have a piece of software
>that runs on Red Hat, will it also run on Debian?

In general, yes. Although there have been cases in the past where a binary
compiled on a Red Hat system didn't work on a Debian system (the Red Hat
tools hardwired a search path for finding the dynamic X libraries which
didn't work on Debian).

>And can we get the source code right off the website at debian.org?

Yes; see http://www.debian.org/distrib/ftplist .

HTH,
Ray
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,