Re: Why it's so difficult to fix PowerMac booting for good

On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 04:58:06PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Well, it works with ISO images, that's the point. The installation CDs use iso9660
> as their filesystem and they have a blessed bootloader which shows in the firmware's
> boot menu.
>
> Thomas Schmitt briefly explained how xorriso does it, but I don't really understand
> the underlying concept yet but I would assume you could use it for booting using a
> FAT16 partition as well.

It makes the CD contain both HFS+ and ISO9660 filesystem (sharing the
same data blocks) and of course by having HFS+ it means you can bless
a boot file.  So in fact it is not working with iso9660, it is working
with HFS+.  Hybrid CDs are interesting.

So it seems the only way to not use nvram settings for booting is with
a blessed boot file, and that requires HFS/HFS+, and the current tools
to manage that are apparently non-free.

--
Len Sorensen