Re: Installer doesn't find the mirrors

Hi,

Frank Scheiner wrote:
> > I believe you
> > can't have both FAT as OF bootstrap partition **and** blessing.

The only way would be that Apple had defined some protocol using the
specified capabilities of FAT, by which blessing and other Apple-specific
file properties can be expressed, and that firmware follows that protocol.

Looking at section "Forks and alternate data streams" of
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
i deem this not impossible:
  "Mac OS using PC Exchange stores its various dates, file attributes
   and long filenames in a hidden file called "FINDER.DAT", [...]
   Finder stores some folder and file metadata in a hidden file called
   ".DS_Store" [...]"

> > ...makes it look like it is specific to HFS(+).

At least the idea of blessing comes from there.

I understand from libisofs/hfsplus.c that blessings are expressed in HFS+
by fields in the superblock, not by attributes of nodes in the file tree.
Each kind of blessing has one such field with one uint32_t number, which
i guess is the equivalent of an inode number. (0 obviously means that the
blessing is not issued to any file.)
grub-mkrescue lets xorriso issue blessing "intel_bootfile" for its x86
ISOs. I guess that debian-powerpc would need "ppc_bootdir". There are
also "show_folder", "os9_folder", and "osx_folder".

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Well, it works with ISO images,

libisofs under xorriso only applies blessings to files in its self-made
HFS+ filesystem tree. It does not produce the Apple SUSP field "AA" in
the ISO 9660 tree and it is not clear whether "AA" can represent blessing
at all.

I am not aware of a producer of ISO 9660 filesystems which would emit
"AA" fields. So i cannot make proposals how owners of Apple hardware could
test whether "AA" can indicate blessings to their machines' firmware.

SUSP (System Use Protocol) is a framework for implementing additional
file properties within ISO 9660. The most popular payload protocol is
Rock Ridge (RRIP) which represents POSIX file attributes when the ISO
is mounted by a Unix-like operating system. SUSP populates the System Use
field which is defined by the ISO 9660 (ECMA-119) specs.
Apple took this opportunity for defining a neighbor of Rock Ridge which
can represent Apple file attributes:
  https://web.archive.org/web/20000519225244/http://developer.apple.com/technotes/fl/fl_36.html

Have a nice day :)

Thomas