Re: Updated Debian Ports installation images

On 3/26/22 10:58 AM, Ken Cunningham wrote:
> I think that people are used to installing linux on PPC Macs being very
> very very difficult, with many arcane manual steps and many hours needed
> on every walkthru available anywhere on the internet.

Like everything else, installing GNU/Linux on PPC Macs really is "very
very very difficult" until you know how to do it. And even then it
doesn't always work. For example, the latest installation CD doesn't
even boot on the PowerBook Lombard, despite the Lombard being a
perfectly good New World system. It has been suggested that the version
of Open Firmware on the Lombard may be too old to work with GRUB;
fortunately, yaboot continues to work quite well.

> So when the steps are:
>

> 1. use the right ISO (hard enough to find, but once you have it...)

Yes, I've now bookmarked the snapshot directory so I can always find the
latest ISO images without having to search through old e-mail messages:

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/

> 2. erase the installation disc
>
> 3. let the defaults take over and don't try to outsmart the installer

Your steps 2 and 3 should not be necessary. It should be possible to use
manual partitioning (I'm testing that next); otherwise, it will not be
possible to boot multiple operating systems.

> they just can't believe that is all you need to do.

If you want to trash all of the other operating systems on your disk,
then by all means you should choose to use the entire disk. But I
suspect that many users will not want to do that -- they'll instead want
to continue using Mac OS, Mac OS X, and whatever other GNU/Linux
distributions they may have in addition to Debian.