Re: Updated Debian Ports installation images

On 3/26/22 9:04 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 3/26/22 15:57, Stan Johnson wrote:
>> ... I used the image from your 18 Mar 2022 message:
>> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2022-03-18/non-free/
>
> That image doesn't work. Use the latest one:
>
> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2022-03-24/

Thanks you, that was helpful. Installing from the 2022-03-24
installation CD works.

>> ... I chose a default
>> installation and told the partitioner to use the entire disk. The
>> installer repartitioned the disk to contain the following partitions:
>>
>> 1: /dev/sda1 - partition map
>> 2: /dev/sda2 - Apple_Bootstrap (hfs, 256 MB)
>> 3) /dev/sda3 - Debian rootfs (ext4, ~110 GB)
>> 4) /dev/sda4 - Linux swap (swap, ~768 MB)
>
> Yeah, that doesn't work.
>
> Adrian

Adrian,

Yes, actually it does work.

On the PowerBook Pismo, I chose a default installation using the
2022-03-24 CD and the entire disk, and everything worked. Here are the
partitions that were created:

# parted -l
Model: ATA ST9120822A (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 120GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: mac
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name      Flags
 1      512B    32.8kB  32.3kB                  Apple
 2      32.8kB  256MB   256MB   hfs             untitled
 3      256MB   119GB   119GB   ext4            untitled
 4      119GB   120GB   759MB   linux-swap(v1)  swap      swap

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=234441648
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

It would be better if the HFS partition (/dev/sda2) were type
Apple_Bootstrap instead of Apple_HFS so that it is not visible to Mac OS
or Mac OS X. And changing it doesn't break anything (as the
Apple_Bootstrap partition, it's still formatted as HFS, so it's the
first HFS partition that Open Firmware sees):

# parted -l
Model: ATA ST9120822A (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 120GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: mac
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name             Flags
 1      512B    32.8kB  32.3kB                  Apple
 2      32.8kB  256MB   256MB   hfs             Apple_Bootstrap  boot
 3      256MB   119GB   119GB   ext4            untitled
 4      119GB   120GB   759MB   linux-swap(v1)  swap             swap

And it is arguably a bad idea for GRUB to delete the Apple device driver
partitions, even when it's using the entire disk (the "entire disk"
should start after those partitions).

Of course, these are just suggestions, and I'm providing them as part of
my feedback on whether GRUB installation works using the latest Debian
PowerPC installation CD. Debian (and GRUB) maintainers should do
whatever they want. I don't anticipate ever using GRUB on a New World
PowerPC system as long as it doesn't work at least as well as yaboot
(and there's no need for you to say again that yaboot is not supported
upstream; that doesn't stop it from working).

Next I'll test a custom installation with Mac OS and Mac OS X installed
to test whether GRUB can boot multiple operating systems on New World
PowerPC systems.

Thanks for all of your help!

-Stan