Re: miboot floppies from layer-acht

Hi Holger,

So I got over the problem with quik and debian is installed here are some notes.

When choosing the to be installed version I get the following message:

wget -q http://debian.uni-essen.de/debian//dists/sarge/Realease _O - | grep ^Suite: | cut -d' ' -f 2

which would seem to suggest sarge is being installed? After choosing stable, the text moves away too quickly and I wasn't able to find any other relevant messages in the install log.

http://penguinppc.org/bootloaders/quik/quirks.php says:

Requires special: output-device /bandit/ATY,264GT-B
load-base may need to be changed to 100000.

Correct. I also had to run:

nvsetenv boot-device ata/ata@0:2

and then mount /proc did the trick, thank you very much.

chroot /target
mount /proc
quik -v

Success!

I'm also always up for testing the ~wouter floppies if there are any changes made there.

Cool!

please drop me an email if you make any changes.

I installed the base system and booted into the 2.4 kernel. The problem is whenever I try to open a bigger file the screen freezes and the system crashes. After reboot there's no note in /var/log/messages as to what happened. Also happens with vi or when I try to startx. I upgraded to the 2.6.8 kernel and the same thing happened. I then did a dist-upgrade to etch and... still the same problem. However now the system only freezes when I startx and not if I only open a file. I had debian with bootx on the same machine before and this didn't happen. The only difference I can think of is that I now have an ext2 partition instead of ext3.

On the bright side the dist-upgrade was successful. Unfortunately when I installed the new kernel, 2.6.18, I got a kernel panic.

VFS: cannot open root device "hda2"
please append correct "root=" boot option
kernel panic - not syncing VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)

Is this some udev, hotplug problem? I can still boot into the 2.6.8 kernel.

Getting back into the installed system now that I turned off the computer is beyond me. Using the miboot floppies let's me boot and open a terminal, but I don't see /target or anything else I could mount.

I did manage to use the floppies to get into my installed system. However I had to follow all the install steps up to and including partitioning. After repartition, with hda2, where everything is installed, staying a ext2 partition so the partition isn't erased, I found /target in the file system again and could access it. This seems a little unpractical. Isn't there a better way to get back at the installed filesystem via the floppies?

Another thing, a couple of people have posted in the last little while about installing debian on old world macs. Would it be possible to put a link to the debian sarge powerpc installation manual on the same page where you have the miboot floppies since this might answer most questions.

Anyhoo, thanks for the help so far, Rob Homsi