Re: performa 6400/200 - installation doesn't recognize cdrom

> Hearthstone:
>
> Dear Brian,
>
> I am still trying to boot using miboot floppies:
>
> Dmesg says I have an ATA hd.
> I/O error in sector 2, 4, 6, 0, 2, 4, 6 (in that
> order).

this could mean your disk has a bad format of some
sort.

do you have any mac os on there, or can you get it.

the reccomended and really the only fully supported
way to install with old pci mac is with macos 8.6 or
better and bootx booter from mac os.

however if i had no macos at all i would try netbsd,
(there is netbsd port in debian but i mean the
original).

either netbsd or debian if you have no macos you are
going to have big learning experiences with
openfirmware to eventually boot with quik. with
netbsd you have to deal with it right away from
the start...

as far as i can tell from reading here, i have not
used miboot but it seems like a last resort, perhaps
as a jump start, to get debian installer going, at
best.

> Control and F3 says that insmod: vfat.o: no module
> by
> that name found
> and that
> modprobe: failed to load module vfat.

this makes me suspicious that your cd was burned
in the wrong format: that is in dos/fat not as
an iso. please tell where and how you made it.
(i burned my cds on a newer mac running either
osx.2 jaguar with disk copy or x.3 panther with
disk utility. i am experimenting now with linux
utilities (been lazy so far).

anyway some of the ways of burning cds i know
people use they do not work correctly, resulting
in an unreadable cd (eg toast lite or macos finder).
However if the cd is burned correctly it should be
readable either in linux or in mac os.

> uname -a says:Linux (none) 2.4.27-powerpc-small #1
> Tue
> May 30 23:57:04 UTC 2006 ppc unknown.
>
> Control and F4 says a plenty; what I thought was
> important was:
> libc6 doesn't exist
> hw-detect doesn't exist
> debconf doesn't exist
> configure cdrom-detect, status 2 (once it said
> status
> 4)

all this is i think because it can't get to the cd.

> Still no cdrom found.
>

> Next I try net-install, hoping for a better luck.
> I am getting a NIC Apple COMM Slot II 10baseT--is
> there any info on how good this card is for
> installing
> Debian?
> Would a Farallon card be any better?

possibly, if it is pci, i don't know what is
the chipset of Farallon.

> Any more intelligence will be greatly appreciated!

another thing to consider is your memory, some others
here could do with less but i would recommend no
less than 64mB and preferably at least 128.

the more web searching and homework reading
preparation
you can do the better off you are.

brian

Have a burning question?