Re: stock kernel 2.6.12 eth0/eth1 swapped

On Dec 10, 2005, at 5:10 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

Network device ordering has never been guaranteed nor stable. It depends
on things like link order, module load ordering, or on async probe
busses like firewire or USB can depend on the phase of the moon.

The bug is to assume it can be relied upon in the first place. I know
it's annoying but that's how it is.

You got that right! It is exasperatingly annoying! The fact remains that a 2.4.x configuration does not work with a stock 2.6.x kernel, and vice versa.

I submit, therefore, that there is a serious shortcoming (bug) in the debian installer(base-installer?). It produces an unstable network configuration. Likewise, the kernel/linux-image-2.6 installers should require stable network device aliases as a precondition. Comments?