stock kernel 2.6.12 eth0/eth1 swapped

I've hit another snag trying to get etch up and running on my G4 Cube.

The path so far has been
- woody install (hey! it works!)
- apt-get dist-upgrade
- apt-get install linux-image-2.6.12-1-powerpc
- manually modify yaboot.conf to reference the supplied initrd
- install hotplug
- remove hotplug
- install ifrename--noted as being incompatible with hotplug.

The problem is that the 2.6.12 stock kernel identifies the firewire interface as eth0 and the _normal_ interface as eth1. Meanwhile 2.4.18-newpmac stock kernel does not provide a firewire ethernet and the _normal_ interface is eth0.

The bottom line is that a 2.6.12 stock kernel cannot access the network.

I'm a bit lost as to whether ifrename is the ''correct'' way to correct this problem. Its man page reports that it _cannot reliably_ rename eth0 and eth1.

Have any of you folks encountered this? How did you resolve the problem?

THX
--rich