Re: Switching from BootX to quik

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 09:06:18PM +0100, Simon Vallet wrote:
> looks good... or not ;-) Seriously, I can't tell from the output if you
> got the correct boot-device (as I don't have a 5400 myself), or
> load-base. But one thing looks does look bad : the boot-file parameter
> should be set to the label you assigned to your kernel in
> /etc/quik.conf, e.g."Linux"

You don't need that if the quik.conf file is setup to have a default
label. I always found it easier to just setup the quik.conf and let it
use the default. If you leave boot-file blank, it will choose based
on the quik.conf file.

> This is quite normal : AFAIK, quik writes some of it's bootloading
> code into the MBR, which is 0:0. But you might want to check that the
> ata/ata-disk device really exists under OF (using devalias, dev and ls
> OF commands) -- this may vary sometimes (see included nvsetenv output on
> the 6400)

Based on my understanding, the 0:0 is a special value that tells it to
search all partitions on that disk. Some of the older machines choke
if you configure a specific partition. The quik boot blocks are written
into the bootable partition.

The MBR (Master Boot Record) is an msdos partition map concept. There
isn't an exact equivalent in a mac partition map.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com