Re: bounty for fixing ALSA's powermac driver

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 00:49 +1100, Dean Hamstead wrote:
> ben mentioned some thoughts he had on improving the
> driver, many of which (or mainly from what i read)
> involved dividing up the driver into
> chipset groups... something like that
> as obviously not every mac has the same sound hardware
> but for some wierd reason we just have an all in one
> driver (which has its pros and cons)
>
> seperating it up into chipset groups means that
> perhaps a few people will be inconvenienced, but
> that people will be more able (and perhaps more
> willing) to bug fix and tweak. i for one, not
> being much of a kernel hacker, am terrified
> of potentially fiddling with a monolithic driver
>
> please forgive me if im wrong.

Well, the alsa driver is already more/less split into mixer groups,
though they are all built into one binary, which is fine. What is needed
is to make the interface between the various codec's and the sound bus
code a bit more flexible, split the sound bus code basically, add proper
setup for the i2s bus, add support for more than one codec on the same
bus (the G5 has both a tas3004 for analog and a different one for
digital), with proper clock control, etc...

That is, a bit of infrastructure work to make it easier to put those
various bits, then implementing the bits, then some kind of tables to
setup the proper bits together on a given machine...

Ben.