Re: QEmu and Wine

Carsten Friede wrote:

Hello!

I'm new to PowerPC and related stuff. Under Linux/x86 I was used to run some Win32 applications with Wine, but here on my new iBook the build from source fails already. I've figured out that there is a solution with QEmu. But what do I have to do? There are neither packages of Wine and it's libraries nor static versions of it for ppc, so I have to choose the ones for i386 architecture. Fine. And now? Is there anybody, who has a clue to get this stuff running? I really need it, there are a few Windows applications, which are essential for my studies. Thanks in advance.

Carsten Friede

There's no way to run Wine on anything other than an x86 platform. On a PPC you have to emulate the complete CPU, which WINE doesn't do and thus it only exists for x86. Your free alternatives for PPC under Linux are Bochs and Qemu. They both emulate a complete x86 system under Linux on your PPC. However, don't expect anything near the performance of WINE as it is on an x86. For instance, I attempted to install Windows 98 within Bochs on my dual G5 2.0 and it's approximately 10 times slower than the Athlon XP 2000+ sitting next to it. My Bochs uses only a single CPU, so expect Pentium I 200MHz. performance levels from the mentioned G5. This could still be enough for things like MS Office (hardly CPU or IO intensive), but you can forget about anything heavily dependent on IO or the CPU.

Kind regards,

Bas v.d. Wiel