Re: Debian + The new PowerBook G4

On Di, 2004-07-27 at 14:48 -0700, Brad Boyer wrote:
> The wireless will be a problem with any current model. The tibooks had
> the original airport card, which is well understood. Any albook comes
> with airport extreme, which is based on a broadcom chip which is still
> mostly a mystery to people, so there isn't a driver at this point.

I second that. All my attempts to create something close to a working
driver together with some of my friends failed utterly. Probably becase
we are all new to the whole device-driver thing ;) - But the external
adapter (PCMCIA) I used on my IBM a20p works fine.

> If you want 802.11 networking on a current powerbook, you'll have to
> get an external adapter. There are several supported USB and PCMCIA
> units that should just work.
>
> > I haven't messed with 3D graphics but I hear they work using a different
> > branch of the X code. Never really had a need for the stuff (on my
> > powebook at least).
>
> The graphics may be a problem. Last I checked, there still wasn't support
> for the Radeon 9600/9800 or any nVidia chips for 3D graphics. However,
> the basic 2D acceleration works fine on my Radeon 9600 card, and I don't
> do much 3D graphics, so I haven't been concerned about it.

Now this is a tough one... 3D graphics isn't even the biggest problem
about the radeon... Having no working suspend is te pain. I wish it
would be as smooth as the <2 sec wakeup under macOS X. I even tried
using macOS but somehow I lack the control I want regarding keymap, look
and feel, available applications and the challenge ;)

> Most other hardware should work, but it depends somewhat on the exact
> model you get. I believe sleep is still broken on nVidia based models.

As mentioned I do not have working suspend here, and I habe the ati
radeon 9600 version.

Greetings

Timo Reimerdes