Re: 2.6.6 kernel - which one?

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 06:54:01PM +0200, Cedric Pradalier wrote:
> According to Nirmal Govind, on Wed, 02 Jun 2004 08:03:58 -0700,
> >Thanks Jens.. I think I'll stick to my current machine.. :-)
> >
> >I see the recent email with the patch that you mentioned. My concern is
> >that I'll run into the same problem that the kernel that I compile does
> >not boot.. the earlier "vanilla" 2.6.6 kernel that built fine did not
> >boot. It stopped after the line that ended with "prom_init" with the
> >white background (the screen immediately after the "boot:" prompt
> >screen). Any ideas on why this happens and/or ways to resolve it? I
> >will try compiling with the pmdisk patch today evening...
> >
> >Thanks,
> >nirmal
>
> Could this be a problem of initrd/not initrd ?
> kernel-image-2.6.6-* contains an initrd image.
> But when I make-kpkg my own kernel, I don't make this initrd image.
> So I'm sure I have all the required modules compiled static in the
> kernel.
> BTW, there is a --initrd option in make-kpkg.

Nope, if the initrd was missing, it would boot upto the point where the
kernel wants to mount the root filesystem, and fail there.

This is more probably a symptom of using a bad .config file, more
probably he is either missing the propper fbdev device (if there is disk
activity or something) or something else earlier is going badly.

Friendly,

Sven Luther