Re: X woefull under 2.6.6

Hi,

Dean Hamstead writes:

> i just dropped kernel-image-2.6.6 onto my ibook firewire boots fine
> blah blah blah but X runs _terribly_ X did just update off
> ftp.debian.org but runs perfectly under 2.4.25.

"Perfectly" means it doesn't use DRI at all.  If you get this running
properly, it's actually a big step forward.

> it seems like things are redrawing really slowly.
>
> im using the ati driver and as previously noted - X runs perfectly
> in 2.4.25
>
> there must be something obvious i havent set.

Most likely, you need to add the line

 Option "ForcePCIMode" "Yes"

to the Driver section of XF86Config-4.

> i noticed that 2.6 loads every kernel module known to man.  i would
> assume they are coming out of the initrd.img file (which is now
> being used-found that out the rough way)

You did get a warning when you installed, didn't you?

> i dont know if they chewing up memory.  i suppose i need to rebuild
> the initrd.img

This is alright, most drivers that were previously built into the
kernel are now built as modules.  If you want a slightly smaller
initrd, put MODULES=dep in /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!