Kernel 2.4.18-powerpc using BooxX

	Hardware/Software config:

PowerMac 6500/225

128MB RAM

80GB IDE hard disk used for "normal" system residency with a 1GB
HFS partition for MacOS9.1 and the rest setup as Linux swap and
ext2 partitions.

6GB SCSI hard disk used for "emergency/recovery" system residency
with a 1GB HFS partition for MacOS9.1 and the rest Linux.

	The question:

When I first installed "woody" on this machine it automatically
setup with kernel 2.2.20-pmac.  After a bit of fiddling,
everything worked great except the yaboot stuff didn't want to
work, so I continued to boot via BootX.  Besides, I occasionally
want to run MacOS9.1 on this machine, and that seemed the best way
to do it.

I thought it would be interesting to try the 2.4.18-powerpc
kernel, so I used dselect to install the
kernel-image-2.4.18-powerpc package.

When it asked if I wanted to setup to boot from this kernel, it
warned about not being able to boot other OSes, so I assumed it
was going to do yaboot stuff, and told it "no" -- figuring I'd do
the BootX version of that manually later.

When it was all done, there were some new files in the /boot
directory having to do with the new kernel, including the new
kernel itself. Also, the /vmlinux symlink now pointed to the new kernel.

I copied the new kernel image from /boot into the "System
Folder:Linux Kernels" folder on my MacOS partition, and rebooted.

In the BootX screen, I told it to use the "vmlinux-2.4.18-powerpc"
kernel, instead of the old one, and let it continue booting.

All I got for may trouble was a black screen.  Recovering from
that without reinstalling from scratch was an interesting project,
but I won't go into it unless somebody asks.

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Rick