Re: Maximum Number of partitons

On (05/12/03 12:20), Chris Tillman wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 02:10:20AM +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:
> >
> > I've repartitioned my PowerMac G4 and partitioned as follows:
> >
> > (  5.0G)  Linux native
> > /dev/hda20        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /var                1024000 @ 52808500
> > (500.0M)  Linux native
> > /dev/hda21        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /tmp                3072000 @ 53832500
> > (  1.5G)  Linux native
> > /dev/hda22        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /home               3125932 @ 56904500
> > (  1.5G)  Linux native
> >
> > I've installed MacOSX on 10, woody on partitions 11-16 and intended to
> > install sid on partitions 17-22.  So far so good ..... woody is installed
> > and running.
> >
> > However, when going through the sid install, it wouldn't initialize
> > partitions 21 & 22 (/tmp and /home).  However it let me mount them and
> > continue with the install - I figured I could sort them once I'd
> > installed sid.  I've installed sid (base plus a few packages: aptitude,
> > sudo, vim, exim4 and mutt) but I can't seem to initialise and mount
> > these two partitions - I tried mke2fs -l /tmp -T ext3 but it didn't
> > seem to recognise the partition (I've rebooted into woody to write this
> > and can't remember the error exactly).
>
> The installer only makes devices up to /dev/hda20. To have more
> partitions, you need to create new devices. From the install manual:
>
> As an example, here are commands you can use in tty2 or under
> Execute A Shell to add a device so the 21st partition can be
> initialized:
>
> cd /dev
> mknod hda21 b 3 21
> chgrp disk hda21
> chmod 660 hda21
>
> Booting into the new system will fail unless proper devices are present
> on the target system. After installing the kernel and modules, execute:
>
> cd /target/dev
> mknod hda21 b 3 21
> chgrp disk hda21
> chmod 660 hda21
Thanks for this Chris - I'm afraid my impatience got the better of me
and I redesigned the partition table with sid on the earlier partitions
and just a "/" partition for woody but sharing sid's swap and /home partitions
which seemed logical.  So I'm down to 17 partitions and avoiding the problem
that you've kindly provied the solution for ;)

This is my workstation and I am acutely aware that I need a working
system again to get on with some work. But I will tuck your solution
away for a rainy day....

Regards

Clive

--