firewire on b&w g3

hi everyone,

this is sort of a repost.  I am having trouble getting debian (mostly
woody, some sid) to recognize the external firewire drive currently
hooked up to my blue-and-white g3.  I have scsi support compiled in,
sbp2 and pcilynx enabled as modules, and have tried using
rescan-scsi-bus.sh from the scsitools package (thanks vinai, for
telling us where to find that in debian).  All to no avail.
/var/log/messages shows no errors, /proc/bus/ieee1394/devices seems fine.

Anyone have any idea what's up?  anyone ever gotten a firewire hard
drive to work on a blue-and-white-g3?  what kernel did you use?

any help appreciated -- I'm grasping at straws...

matt