Re: Booting the Debian installation CD on Powerbook G4 12"

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 22:54, Orion Buckminster Montoya wrote:

> But when you get to the step of partitioning/initializing/mounting
> your hard drive, the kernel you get from
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/new-powermac/
> will tell you "No hard disks were found."  If you look at /dev/hda
> you'll see that it's your optical drive.  The problem is that this
> disk is ATA-100, and the current kernels are only for ATA-66.  I had
> to build a kernel that supported ATA-100, but I still don't know what
> chipset this machine is using (anybody?) so I just added them all --
> not an elegant solution, but it works.  It makes for a 3.8 MB kernel
> image, but you can download it at
> http://valla.uchicago.edu/ppc/vmlinux-pbg412.bz2 (you probably need to
> bunzip2 it for it to boot).

It's Apple's "intrepid" chipset, which is UniNorth2 north bridge
and KeyLargo IO ASIC merged in one chip. They kept U2 ATA/100 and
removed KL ATA/66. The driver for it is still good old ide-pmac
that is "Builtin PowerMac IDE support" CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_PMAC
in kernel config. You can remove all other drivers ;)

> So put my kernel (or your own-built kernel with the right ATA chipset
> support, as long as you tell me what it is) in /vmlinux on your OS X
> partition, reboot with cmd+opt+O+F, boot hd:3,yaboot or whatever is
> right (you could tell me this as well, if people are going to refer to
> my web page or this email thread).  From there things should be okay
> -- the hard drive is /dev/hdc, and you can read the packages off the
> CD just fine, even if you can't boot from it.  After you install, you
> should boot to OS X, change OSX:/yaboot.conf to point at your GNU root
> partition and remove the line about root.bin, then reboot with
> hd:3,yaboot or whatever (still from the OS X partition).
>
> My kernel has support for cpu frequency scaling via /proc/cpufreq --
> and now when it boots it claims to be at 53 MHz.  You can get this up
> to the proper 867 MHz by doing

Are you sure of the 53Mhz bit ? Isn't it 533 ?

> echo -n "1000000:2000000:performance" > /proc/cpufreq
> but in practice I haven't noticed this making much of a difference --
> I mean, the machine isn't actually running at 53 MHz.  If you're
> building this for your own kernel you need the patch that benh sent:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2003/debian-powerpc-200302/msg00106.html
> (this works great).

Well... There might be a bigger problem if the kernel reports 53Mhz
on boot (that means upon frequency switch, the kernel internal timing
delays may be incorrectly adjusted).

Please edit arch/ppc/platforms/pmac_cpufreq.c

Then, near the top of the file, change

#undef DEBUG_FREQ

#define DEBUG_FREQ

Recompile, then do a couple of frequency switches and send me the
resulting dmesg log

Thanks,
Ben.

--