Re: ibook2 rev2 potato cd boot problems..

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 11:23:02PM -0600, Jon Michaelchuck wrote:
> Hi, I was playing around with moving/resizing some of my filesystems and
> messed up the partition table and ended up rm'n my /... Luckily I have
> backups.
>
> Now when I boot I can't get into OS X or Debian.. I just get that mac
> screen with the blinking face in the center. No big deal, I'll just
> reinstall completely with Debian, never used OS X anyway.
>
> So I put in my ppc deb cd and here's what I get:
>
> Welcome to yaboot version 0.9

For newer machines like the ibook2 you would be much better off with
woody, which provides a new-powermac flavor.

But first, just try adding video=ofonly to your boot parameters (below).

> Wrong partition 1 signature
> config file read, 613 bytes
> Debian GNU/Linux PowerPC (potato)
> boot:  ( I press enter )

Use Tab to see your options here, probably just `install'
then enter a space and video=ofonly after the image name

> Wrong partition 1 signature
>      Elf32 kernel loaded
> Wrong partition 1 signature

Don't worry about these messages; yaboot is just carping because it
wants to be on its own bootstrap partition.

> .. Now the screen turns white with black text -- open firmware

If you need to boot manually, refer to the manual but it's something
like: Cmd-Opt-O-F at boot, then at the OF prompt:

boot cd:,install\powermac\yaboot video=ofonly

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003