Re: TerraSoft PPC Motherboard.

> just wondering, how long *does* it take to build a kernel on say,
> voltaire or the x86 (C3 was it?), cuz here a kernel build is about 2
> hours - 604e/185 MHz, 84 MB RAM.
>
> is there a way to speed this up to say 1 hour, or 1 hour 1/2 without
> upgrading the CPU? more RAM maybe? i don't have 200-300$ to spend on a
> cpu upgrade.

Avoid "make clean". If you must do "make clean", go find
the "compiler cache" project.

Put swap on a physically separate disk. Partitions at one
end of a disk will be faster than those at the other end.
Unpack the kernel source into a fresh empty filesystem.
Choose your filesystem carefully. Try all of these:

tmpfs
reiserfs, with tails disabled and journalling disabled
ext2, with 4 kB block size and atime updates disabled
maybe jfs?
maybe xfs?

Check your drive and controller settings. ("man hdparm")

Consider using an older compiler. As gcc is "improved" it
needs more and more memory. As a wild guess, you might look
for the oldest version that has the built-in pre-processor.

I suspect that you shouldn't be running Mac-on-Linux or have
a kernel with any support for it.

Upgrade or downgrade the C library. Be careful...

Statically link things used during the build.

How desperate are you? Maybe you should go cook dinner while the
kernel is compiling. Lack of food has been shown to cause death.