RE: Modems on PowerBook 3400

On  19 July 2002 18:22 "Philipp Kaeser" <furball@gubbe.ch> wrote:

} well, it doesn't look too bad - atleast, you got the PCMCIA controller
}running and the card gets detected :)

This is what's frustrating.  The hardware seems to work just fine...
I just gotta find how to introduce the right bits of hardware to each other.

} the "input overrun" problem: the pb2400 has a "wired" serial port
}(printer/modem) AND an IRDA port (being at /dev/ttyS0, /dev/ttyS1);
}when loading the PCMCIA card, /dev/ttyS1 gets "shadowed".
}At least, thats what it does here, running potato.

I seem to have the same thing.  If I remember correctly, the 2400 is the
same thing as a 3400, just the case is different, for all intents and purposes.

} The *might* be a conflict with that - unfortunately, I can't help
} you much, there. Try looking up docs if it's possible to map the
} PCMCIA modem to anything above /dev/ttyS0 (best would be /dev/ttyS2);
} hoever, I can't give you a clue if/how this would be possible.

As I said in my last message, I tried that with setserial with no joy.
Anyway, which docs do I try?

(Anyone who's reading the list...?)

}> : Socket 0:
}> :   Vcc 5.0V  Vpp1 0.0V  Vpp2 0.0V
}> :   interface type is "memory and I/O"
}> :   irq 22 [exclusive] [level]
}> :   speaker output is enabled
}> :   function 0:
}> :     config base 0x1040
}> :       option 0x47 status 0x08 pin 0x00 ext 0x00
}> :     io 0x03f8-0x03ff [8bit]
}> : Socket 1:
}> :   not configured
}> To me, it looks like my actual serial port (printer/modem) on ttyS0 is sharing an interrupt
}> with my pcmcial modem.  Could this be why pon and wvdial can't ever find a modem?
}uhrm... actually, it should not. Atleast the pb2400 uses not an uart chip,
}but some bizarre Z8530 controller. check dmesg for lines like the following:
}----
}PowerMac Z8530 serial driver version 2.0
}tty00 at 0xc4a0b020 (irq = 15) is a Z8530 ESCC, port = modem
}tty01 at 0xc4a12000 (irq = 16) is a Z8530 ESCC, port = IRDA

I have the same things... although I'll have to double check that the
interrupts are the same.

} Why is there isapnp running? AFAIK mac does not have an ISA bus, so
} why bothering? Possibly there is a mess-up with that?

No, I don't have an ISA bus.  Don't know why it got installed.
Don't know how to uninstall it, either.

} Then, when the PCMCIA card initializes properls (both "beeps" are high and
} short - are they already?),

Yep.  They have always been there.

} try using "minicom" package and tool; you
}can "speak" with your modem directly.
}(since if you haven't configured ppp yet properly, this might be another
}case for failure).

Minicom can communicate with the modem on any port, so I don't have anything there.

} ("echoed" to you by the modem). If you can't see
} anything, minicom didn't find the modem.

No echos.  I wasn't getting anything.

Back to the drawing board.

Cheers,
Aaron