Re: Potato cd access problems

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 04:39:45PM -0400, Colin Foran wrote:
> Well ive been at this most of the day, still no dice. I've made another copy of
> the first Debian cd and tried to restart the base install. While I do get fewer
> errors, I still cant complete the process.
> I have tried to copy the iso to hard disk, but that gets cut off even sooner
> than using the installer.
> I have had a bit of luck with just trying to "apt-get install ---", it seems to
> work with some things, but not with others.
> I've been thinking about it, and i cant really imagine that this is a driver
> problem. After asking around, all of the people ive talked to told me that their
> old world powermacs came with the old Matshita cdroms, so its not as though we
> are dealing with an obscure piece of hardware.
> I've checked the inside of the box, and my scsi chain is terminated correctly,
> so I dont suspect Evil SCSI Voodoo (tm) to be the problem.
> Any ideas?
> and thanks to all those that are trying to help me out, I really appreciate it
> -Cheers

Another idea along the same lines, trying to avoid the CD. I assume
the downloaded iso file is on one of your mac partitions? How about
1. start the installer (or maybe your system will handle this)
2. create a 650MB partition which will simulate the CD, say /dev/hda10
3. mount the mac partition in console 2
4. dd directly from the iso file on the mac partition to /dev/hda10
5. Quit the installer, boot your regular system and mount -t iso9660 /dev/hda10 /cdrom