Re: Can't start installation via yaboot at OpenFirmware prompt

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 10:21:32PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> At OpenFirmware prompt, I'm typing "boot hd:14,yaboot" and getting
> "can't OPEN: 14:hd,yaboot   ok".

boot hd:14,yaboot

is the right syntax.

> [...]
>
> Use fake disk names (/dev/scsi<bus>.<id>; i.e. /dev/scsi0.1,
> /dev/scsi1.3, etc.).
>
> Top level command (? for help): l
> Name of device: /dev/ata0.0
>
> Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/ata0.0' (/dev/hda)
>  #:                type name              length   base     ( size )
>  1: Apple_partition_map Apple                 63 @ 1
>  2:     Apple_Bootstrap boot                1600 @ 12654848
>  3:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh             54 @ 64
>  4:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh             74 @ 118
>  5:  Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh            512 @ 192
>  6:       Apple_Patches Patch Partition      512 @ 704
>  7:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap              524288 @ 1216     (256.0M)
>  8:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /                 153600 @ 525504   ( 75.0M)
>  9:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /tmp               51200 @ 679104   ( 25.0M)
> 10:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /usr             3276800 @ 730304   (  1.6G)
> 11:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /var              512000 @ 4007104  (250.0M)
> 12:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /home            1024000 @ 4519104  (500.0M)
> 13:           Apple_HFS "MacOS"          6963200 @ 5543104  (  3.3G)
> 14:           Apple_HFS "MacShared"       148544 @ 12506304 ( 72.5M)
>
> Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=12656448 (6.0G)
> DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
> Drivers-
> 1:  21 @ 64, type=0x701
> 2:  34 @ 118, type=0xf8ff
>
> Top level command (? for help):
>

> After my first mistake of wiping out the partition table and then having
> to reinstall OS 9, I created a partition table similar to the one above,
> but I had the Apple_Bootstrap partition between 6 and 7 (so it was 6). I
> later moved that (using the "r" command) to the second partition as per
> another HOWTO I found. I also planned to have both OS 9 and OS/X, and I
> understood that OS/X needed Apple_HFS+ (or UFS, which has been
> recommended against by two Mac-head friends and by what I've read
> today), so I created the "MacOS" partition as "Apple_HFS+", and created
> the "MacShared" partition as "Apple_HFS" (I couldn't find any
> documentation as to what the correct type was for HFS+, so I just
> guessed that it was "Apple_HFS+".
>
> When I then booted off the OS 9 CD, it wanted to initialize one of the
> Mac partitions (I don't remember now the exact sequence), and it seems
> like one of the drives (the HFS+ I think) didn't even show up, so I did
> a bit of tweaking and finally got both drives to show up on the desktop.
> I then installed OS 9, and put the "debian-imac" folder on the
> "MacShared" folder, and put the four special files (yaboot, yaboot.conf,
> linux, and root.bin) onto the root of "MacShared" also.
>
> I then rebooted into OpenFirmware, and started having problems.
>
> Throughout the day, I've gone back and installed OS/X as well, and some
> time after that noticed that it had converted the "MacShared" drive into
> "MacOS Extended", so I re-initialized that drive as "MacOS Standard".

OSX tends to mess everything up, so I'm glad you have it installed now.

> Still, it seems odd to me that the "Get Info" on the "MacOS" drive shows
> "Mac OS Extended" and the "MacShared" drive shows "Mac OS Standard", yet
> pdisk shows both partitions as "Apple_HFS".

I think the other poster was right about Apple_HFS and HFS+. In any case,
it sounds like your setup should work now.

Which debian-imac release are you using, the 2.2 or 3.0? Perhaps there's
been some corruption of the yaboot binary or something.

When you dragged the 4 files, you put them on the disk icon for the Shared
partition, not on the desktop, right?