Re: Can't start installation via yaboot at OpenFirmware prompt

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 10:21:32PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> After my first mistake of wiping out the partition table and then having
> to reinstall OS 9, I created a partition table similar to the one above,
> but I had the Apple_Bootstrap partition between 6 and 7 (so it was 6). I
> later moved that (using the "r" command) to the second partition as per
> another HOWTO I found. I also planned to have both OS 9 and OS/X, and I
> understood that OS/X needed Apple_HFS+ (or UFS, which has been
> recommended against by two Mac-head friends and by what I've read
> today), so I created the "MacOS" partition as "Apple_HFS+", and created
> the "MacShared" partition as "Apple_HFS" (I couldn't find any
> documentation as to what the correct type was for HFS+, so I just
> guessed that it was "Apple_HFS+".
>
> Still, it seems odd to me that the "Get Info" on the "MacOS" drive shows
> "Mac OS Extended" and the "MacShared" drive shows "Mac OS Standard", yet
> pdisk shows both partitions as "Apple_HFS".

I know it seems wrong, but both HFS and HFS+ volumes should have
the partition type set to "Apple_HFS" in order to be used by the
MacOS. In fact, every HFS+ volume is also an HFS volume, with the
HFS+ volume embedded in it. It's a mess, but that's how they got
the new format to show up with something useful on old software
installs. There really is an HFS volume there with the readme
for HFS+ available to the old software.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com