Audio Problems on an iBook

Hi,
	I've got an iBook which every so often seems to go a bit haywire in
the audio department. When I open the lid, so the machine comes out of
suspend, most times everything's fine. Every once in a while, I'll get
a load of static come out of the left speaker. Other times, it seems that
the microphone comes on (afaict it doesn't work at other times :/) at full
gain and gets into a feedback loop. In eith case the only option is a
reboot.
Is this a problem with the audio drivers or is it more likely to be a
hardware issue?
The machine's a new (bought just before Christmas) 12.1" iBook with one of
those horrible softmodems.

Thanks,

Gareth