Re: German Keymap for X4.0.3 (was: German keymap for G3/PPC)

Thanks, I'm getting closer.

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 01:42:05PM +0200, Manuel Reiter wrote:
> >
> > As I'm still having problems with my German Keyboard (Apple Extended
> > ADB) under X4.0.3 on my 7600, I would appreciate pointers on
>
> try X4.1

Is it packaged for woody already? I just apt-get updated and upgraded. I'd
really prefer not to go sid at the moment.

> no, this is a kernel issue, upgrade console-tools to the version in
> woody and recompile your kernel with CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES=n
>
> or add append="keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1" to your
> /etc/yaboot.conf and rerun ybin.  upgrade console-tools first though.

I've put it in /etc/sysctl.conf since I'm using bootX and can't access my
Mac (HFS+) partition from Linux. Yes, I know that's stupid ;) Do you see
any problems with this?

My keyboard is now (again) working on console, including '@' and 'pipe',
minus a few glitches: The key left of '1' gives me a tilde ('~') in
conjunction with 'shift', and the Umlaut and s-z-Ligature keys don't
work: u-Umlaut gives me '@' and '\', o-Umlaut '[' and '{', a-Umlaut ']'
and '}' and s-z-Ligature '\' and '?' (first is key alone, second is with
'shift'). This happens on console and in X.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

In X, I still can't access the 'tilde ' and (apart from via u-Umlaut
;) '@' characters.

How would a basic XF86Config-4 file that just tells X to use the Kernel
keymaps look like, if such a beast exists at all?

Thanks again for all the help,

  Manuel