Re: nis and netbase conflicts

Håvard Dahle wrote:

> I'm currently having a bit of problems with my G3, which runs woody.
> During a apt-get recently, my netbase package was updated to 4.05. This
> would be fine and dandy, had it not been for the fact that netbase 4.05
> conflicts with nis (<= 3.6-2), and the only nis package that seems to
> be available, is nis 3.6-2.
> So what I was wondering is:
>  * where did I screw up?
>  * do anyone know of a way to fix this?
>  * how can I force a downgrade of netbase, if that is necessary?
>  * being a debian newbie, where can I find information regarding
>  issues like this one, so that the next time, I won't have to bother
>  all of you?

Looking at http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages, the current nis version in
woody is 3.8-3, which should work with your netbase (it depends on netbase ;).

Probably it's just the PPC autobuilder lagging as usual. You can build nis
yourself with

apt-get -b source nis

and then install the resulting .deb(s) with dpkg. Or just wait for a newer
version of nis to appear.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project